INTRODUCTION TO THE IOCD ANNUAL ESSAY COMPETITION
In 2023 IOCD launched an annual Essay Competition, Young Voices in the Chemical Sciences for Sustainability. The competition is open to entrants who are under 35 years of age at the closing date. A different theme is announced each year.
Organized and managed by IOCD, the aims of the competition are to:
- highlight the roles of the chemical sciences in promoting sustainability
- encourage young people to explore the relevance of scientific approaches to tackling sustainability challenges and provide them with an opportunity to present their perspectives.
The competition is sponsored by the Royal Society of Chemistry, which is a leading voice for the chemical sciences and uses its influence to put sustainability in the spotlight, demonstrating how chemical science can provide solutions to the associated challenges.
Evaluation of the entries involves a multi-stage process in which the relevance and quality of the essays is assessed qualitatively and quantitatively and essays are shortlisted for consideration as Finalists. From this group, very high-scoring essays are selected as Regional Winners for up to seven regions, which are defined according to the World Bank geographic classification:
- East Asia and Pacific
- Europe and Central Asia
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Middle East and North Africa
- North America
- South Asia
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- The Regional Winners of the annual competition will each receive a cash prize of US$500 from IOCD and a Winner’s Certificate and their entries will be published by the RSC in its journal RSC Sustainability, which is an open-access journal.
- The shortlisted competitors designated as Finalist will each receive a Finalist’s Certificate and their entries will be published by IOCD in the annual compendium, Young Voices in the Chemical Sciences for Sustainability. At intervals throughout the year, IOCD may select one of the shortlisted essays and feature the text and author’s profile on IOCD’s website.
- Global essay competition: Young Voices in the Chemical Sciences for Sustainability, RSC Sustain., 2023,1, 10, available here.
- World Bank Country and Lending Groups: Country Classification. World Bank, Washington DC, 2023. Available here.